Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Steak Dianne

This is my version of Steak Dianne and is probably nothing at all like Steak Dianne is supposed to be but we like it so that's all that counts :) It is another of those things I make that I don't follow a recipe or measure anything so I can't give proper quantities- sorry.

Cast of characters




  • Scoth fillet steak - should be fillet steak but scotch fillet is just as good
  • Brandy
  • Tomato sauce
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Cream
  • Garlic - for this recipe I use Gormet Garden garlic paste 
Step 1
Trim all the fat off the steaks, because of where the fat is (with scotch fillets) you end up with a couple of smaller pieces. Place the trimmed pieces between two pieces of Glad Wrap and pound (both sides) until the steak is very thin.

Step 2
Heat a frying pan to very hot and fry the steaks for a couple of minutes on each side - I use a non stick pan with no oil for this. Remove steaks and set aside.

Step 3
Add garlic to pan and stir (we like garlic so I squeeze out a decent amount) add brandy, I probably am a bit heavy handed as I use a few good glugs. Be careful when adding the brandy as it can catch on fire, if this happens wait for a few moments and it will burn out. Add a few glugs of tomato sauce and also Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine.

 Step 4
Add cream, I use a 300ml container and stir to combine. At this stage I also added a can of champignon slices too. Return the steak to the pan and continue to cook so that the sauce reduces and thickens.

The finished product


Review
Tonight we had this with steamed asparagus and homemade Hollandaise sauce and jacket potatoes with sour cream. Talk about a heart attack on a plate! At least we don't have this very often.

My Dianne sauce thickened a bit too much tonight, I was concentrating on the Hollandaise sauce because I didn't want it to curdle. It still tasted wonderful though. Hmmm, one day I might look up how to make proper Dianne sauce and try it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment