Sunday, October 10, 2010

Banana Cake

This recipe is great if you need to feed a lot of people. It would be easy to make a half quantity if you don't want so much. I alway make the large quantity and freeze the extra cakes.

The nice thing with this recipe is you can change the fruit used. I've made it using a 450g can of pie apples which turned out really well. Next time I might try using drained crushed pineapple for a change..

Normally I make this in 3 pyrex loaf pans but this time I decided to make mini cakes using a pan that makes 8 mini 9cm x 5cm (3½" x 2") loaves. This recipe made 20 mini loaves.

Cast of characters







  • 250g margarine
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs - as you can see in the photo I used 6 eggs but they were really small
  • 2 cups mashed banana - I had 4 bananas that needed to be used - I didn't bother measuring
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 level teaspoons Bi-Carb Soda
  • 3½ cups Self Raising flour
  • pinch salt
I make this in a large 3.8 litre saucepan so there is less to wash up at the end :)

Step 1
Melt margarine and stir in sugar until dissolved - I leave this to cool for a bit before the next step as I really don't want any scrambled eggs in my cakes 

Step 2
Gradually add beaten eggs and mashed bananas

Step 3
Stir in half the flour and salt before adding half the milk in which the soda has been dissolved. Repeat this step with the remaining flour and salt and the remaining milk

 Now you can see why I use my largest saucepan!

Step 4

Pour into greased and lined cake pan/s and bake at 180° for at least 30 minutes until cooked through and browning



Step 5
Cool on wire rack



Dust with icing sugar or ice with lemon icing

Review
I really don't need to review this recipe because it always works but honestly - have you ever seen such cute little loaf cakes LOL. It doesn't take much to amuse me!

No comments:

Post a Comment