Cast of characters
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets halved
- 1 medium brown onion, finelychopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 300ml cream
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 150g button mushrooms, quartered - I used mushroom cups which are a little bigger
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced - I used less than 1/2 cup
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 300g piece pumpkin, peeled, cit into 2cm pieces - I had it ready but forgot to add it - oops
- Cheese Scones (recipe in next post)
- milk, to glaze
Heat oil in a frying panover moderately high heat. Cook chicken in batches for 2 - 3 minutes or until seared. I used a large frying pan so I did mine all at once. Set aside.
Add onion and garlic to pan , cook and stir for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
Add flour to pan, cook and stir for 1 minute or until onion is well coated. Whisk stock, cream and mustard in a large jug; gradually stir into pan until smooth and combined. Return chicken to dish with mushrooms, tomato, parsley and pumpkin.
Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and transfer into an ovenproof dish - the dish I used was 19cm square.I put the chicken in the dish first and then poured the sauce over it.
Make cheese scones (recipe in next post)
Arrange scones evenly over hot chicken mixture in dish. Brush top of scones with milk to glaze.
Bake uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes until scones are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped lightly, and chicken is cooked. Serve at once.
Absolutely delicious!!! Geoff, this could be made in an electric frypan without the cheesy scones and it would still taste great.