Cast of characters (serves 4)
- 16 fresh (green) king prawns, peeled (tails left on) and de-veined
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 mangoes (peeled, pip removed and diced)
- 2 small red chillies (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 15g (1 tablespoon) finely grated ginger
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- 30ml olive oil
- cracked black pepper and sea salt
- 30g (2 tablespoons) chopped coriander
Make salsa by combining the fresh mango, chillies, onion, garlic, ginger, a dash of white wine vinegar and olive oil and the coriander (note, you may need to add a pinch of sugar). Set aside to allow the flavours to combine.
Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add a little olive oil.
Add the prawns and cook quickly over high heat. Remove from frying pan as soon as they are cooked (they will continue to cook once removed from the heat).
Serve the prawns with a scoop of salsa and some rocket to garnish.
Luke Mangan serves this on a plate with 4 prawns per person. Because we were going to have a huge Christmas dinner as a main course we decided that two prawns each would be enough as a starter and I served them in cute little glasses without the rocket.
A close up of the Mango Salsa