Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cheesy White Sauce

I am doing a separate post for the Cheesy White sauce because Tiffany still hasn't mastered this so I told her I'd do a post on it :-)

Cast of characters

  • Milk
  • Butter
  • Grated Tasty Cheese
  • Salt (not pictured)
Step 1
Melt butter and add salt - I like to use a bit more butter than is probably necessary 

Step 2
Add flour and whisk together well.to create a roux. This is where my extra butter come in handy, I find a "wet" roux works better for me than adrier crumbly one, it doesn't get lumpy whe the roux is "wet". Cook for a few minutes stirring well to cook the flour.



Step 3
Add milk a little at a time stirring constantly, the sauce will thicken very quickly during this stage. Keep stirring and adding milk until the sauce reaches the desired consistency and is totally lump free.



 Step 4
Add grated tasty cheese and continue stirring with a whisk until the cheese has completely melted and the sauce is smooth again. If the sauce is too thick after the addition of the cheese add some more milk and continue whisking.


 The finished sauce should be thick but smooth and still runny.


 Review
The most important thing with making this sauce is constant whisking to prevent lumps. If your sauce does turn out lumpy try straining it through a sieve to remove them.

No comments:

Post a Comment