Monday, October 11, 2010

Chicken Stuff

Another family favourite tonight, I can't remember where I got the original recipe for this but it has evolved quite a lot over the years so I guess its not important. As usual with me when I try something new I will follow the recipe faithfully the first time I make it and after that I will tweak by removing things we don't like and adding things we do. This is one of those well tweaked recipes.

While I can list what goes into it, I can't give exact quantities because I don't measure anything.

Cast of characters


  • chicken - normally I use breast fillets but I had chicken breast strips in the freezer so I used those
  • bacon
  • large flat mushrooms
  • celery
  • can of Cream of Chicken soup
  • sour cream
  • Large Vol-au-Vent cases

Step 1
Cook the chicken, I poached the strips but if you are in a hurry you can use a bought BBQ chook and pull all the meat off it.

Step 2
Cut the bacon into strips and slice the mushrooms and celery

Step 3
Pour som olive oil into a large frypan and cook the bacon, celery and mushrooms


This is why you need a large frypan, the mushrooms take up a lot of space until they are cooked.



Step 4
When the mushrooms are cooked and have reduced down in size add the Cream of Chicken Soup and sour cream and mix until well combined, add cooked chicken


The light above my stove has a tendancy to make the photos look yellow - sorry

Step 5
Heat Vol-auVent cases in the oven.  Fill with Chicken Stuff and serve.


Review
This is so easy and it never fails.Sometimes I make puff pastry fingers to serve instead of the Vol-au-Vents and sometimes I serve it with rice. The bought Vol-au-Vent cases are the easiest though.

No comments:

Post a Comment