Cast of characters
- 2 chicken breast fillets cooked and shredded(you can use any cut of chicken you like ie thigh fillets etc)
- 1 medium leek sliced
- 2 rashers of bacon cut into strips
- mushrooms - I used cup mushrooms and Swiss Brown - chopped or sliced - about 300g (maybe more, we love mushrooms so I always add more)
- Sprig of fresh thyme, leaves removed from stalk
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or low fat Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
Add a drizzle of olive oil to pan and fry the bacon strips for a couple of minutes. Add leeks and then mushrooms and thyme, cook until mushrooms are done.
Add chicken stock and the cornflour that has been disolved in a little water. Once the mixture begins to thicken takke pan off the heat and add the creme fraiche. Add the shredded chicken and mix through. Place filling into a pie dish. I used an old pyrex pie dish because the new fancy pie dishes are too big for the puff pastry sheets to cover properly.
Cover the pie with the sheet of puff pastry, trim the excess pastry from the edges and crimp.Cut to vent slits in the top of the pie and brush with beaten egg.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Serve with whatever side dishes you like for example mashed potatoes and vegetables. We didn't bother with side dishes, we ate the pie on its own.
This photo shows the inside of the pie after it is cut open.
The pie was outstanding and I will definitely make it again.